EA Sports presented the 2013 Madden Cover today with winner Calvin Johnson.
Lions receiver Johnson beat Panthers quarterback Cam Newton for the 2013 cover with 52% of the votes (651,736 votes according to Detriot News).
Johnson ignores the “Madden Cover curse”. The curse is when a player is on the Madden cover, they end up injured and/or have unsuccessful seasons after. Many players have been injured or had a bad season after being on the Madden cover like:
- Eddie George – cover of 2001 – lost in playoffs after
- Ray Lewis – cover of 2005 – injured wrist after and had NO interceptions that season, the only season he hasn’t had an INT
- Marshall Faulk – cover of 2003 – never had another season over 1,000 yards & knee surgery
- Daunte Culpepper – cover of 2002 - had most INTs in one season after
- Vince Young - cover of 2008 - injuries missing seasons and now backup for Eagles
- Shaun Alexander – cover of 2007 - foot injury and less rushing stats
- Drew Brees – cover of 2010 – hasn’t been back to SB and the “bounty scandal” exposed
- Brett Farve – cover of 2009 – came out of retirement and had unsuccessful seasons with other teams including ankle injuries, shoulder injuries & charged with sexual harrassment
*These are just a FEW.